A Quick Update – It’s been about two and a half weeks since my dethatching process was complete. Soon after the dethatching, we received a nice rain.
Unfortunately, the weather turned dry right after that, leaving the grass without water for several days. It’s been a rough summer in terms of water for the lawn.
I had planned on watering my lawn in a limited capacity because of my water well situation. However, I got a little carried away on my first attempt. The goal was to apply water to sections throughout the week. Not thinking clearly, I decided to water several different sections for 10-14 minutes each. With the lack of rain, I was hoping to give these areas a good soaking.
With a shared well and my neighbor running all kinds of laundry and other things, I wasn’t clearly thinking about the overall use. It wasn’t until Sunday night where my son was taking a shower and the water stopped pouring out.
This is the last thing you want to happen, especially on a Sunday Night
I’ve had the pump go out a lot in the past only to get it back working quickly. This time I was trying and trying, but my horrible feeling was coming true. I drained the majority of the 1000 gallon tank. What was I thinking? I knew better. I got overly excited and that was my biggest mistake.
It took the tank overnight to fill up to a reasonable level where the problem went away. I spent hours priming the pump, but the fact is, there isn’t enough water to take on my 10,000 sq foot lawn.
I found a potential solution to my water situation that shouldn’t cost me a lot of money. It will require some time of course, but it will allow me to stay ahead of the dry summers. More on this in the future.
The good news is, with the amount of water I did you use, the natural fertilizer really started to kick in. In fact, over half my grass started to come back green. I repeat, half.
This coming up week, I’ll be aerating and overseeding. I think I got lucky by not doing this process earlier. With the lack of rain and not being able to water it manually, forcing an overseed job is difficult. Next week is shaping to be cooler and damper.
Once, I have the aerating process complete I will share with you some before and after pics. You can learn all about what I’m trying to do with my lawn care here.
Until next time!!!